How To Choose The Right Supplement For You
Popping a supplement of some type is a popular dietary habit. However, as most medical and nutrition professionals will tell you, supplements should never replace a healthy diet. That being said, there are certain situations that may call for additional supplementation over and above what a realistic diet can be expected to provide.
Body builders for example require a lot of protein. Protein however is noted for being an excellent ‘filler’ so many people simply may not be capable of eating the required quantities before they’re too full to eat any more. This is where protein supplements can help. They provide the protein minus the accompanying bulk that comes from consuming many high protein foods.
When you’re looking for just the right type of supplement for you, always:
- Read the labels. In fact, you should get into the habit of reading labels for everything you put into your body. With respect to supplements, those labels will tell you what’s in the product, the dosage rates, safety precautions, and anything else you need to know before taking the product.
- Check the expiry date. Reputable products always have an expiry date printed on them. Reputable suppliers likewise try to ensure they’re not selling expired supplements but if you do happen to come across one that has expired, don’t buy it.
- Buy products manufactured by reputable companies. Products that have been approved by the US Pharmacopeia for example will display ‘USP’ somewhere on the label. This means it’s been tested and complies with quality and safety standards.
- Avoid products that require you to take excessive doses to be effective. Not only is this expensive in the long run but some vitamins and minerals in particular are dangerous in excessive doses.
- Do your homework before deciding to take a supplement. With the amount of information now available online, there’s really no excuse (apart from laziness) to be ignorant about what you’re feeding yourself. Also talk to your medical professional.
- Keep your supplements well out of reach of children.
- Keep your supplements in accordance with the instructions on the packaging, which will typically be a dry, cool, dark place. Many of these types of products lose their potency if they’re exposed to heat, humidity, dampness, direct sunlight and so on.
Pat Mahomes supplements are a reliable way of obtaining the additional protein and various minerals required for effective body building and muscle growth.