BEST TIME TO VISIT NORTHERN IRELAND: MONTH-BY-MONTH GUIDE

0
399

Northern Ireland has a rich Celtic and Christian history which is often reflected by its monuments and ancient architecture. The buildings and the plains of Northern Ireland are the remnants of the turmoil of troubles the country has gone through. The country has castles and ancient planes which have been used in many seasons and television programs. The fact that the castles of Northern Ireland have also been a part of the Game of thrones series attracts a considerable number of tourists, who visit the castles and the neighboring areas to relive the scenes. The country also has forests like the Dark Hedges which are tunnel like avenues of wood lead to beautiful parks. Such pathways and forest are often a source of peace for nature loving individuals. Museums like the Ulster Museum have stood firm in the country for many decades. They contain valuables of the 9,000 old Irish culture which is often enjoyed by the tourists. Moreover, mountain peaks with the coastal plains also offer sports like skiing, hiking and mountain climbing for the adventurous visitors. The country is full of ancient monuments which have the remains of the Irish culture along with the forests and natural wonders providing the tourists with internal peace.

The country experiences temperate maritime climate and is wetter than many countries in the region. The weather is highly unpredictable throughout the year as the temperature fluctuates greatly. The summer months, June and July, experience high temperatures up to 30.8 °C, while the lowest temperature recorded during the winter months is -18.7 °C. During most part of the year, the country experiences warm sunny days with cool breezes. The average daytime temperature is 17.5 °C during summer months and 6.5 °C in winters. To know about the weather in detail, see below our monthly guide and decide your trip accordingly:

January

The average daily temperature reaches almost 5°C during the first month of the year, here in Northern Ireland. The highest and the lowest temperatures during the day and the night time might reach almost 7°C chilly to 2°C cold. There is not much sun over the skies of Northern Ireland at this time of the year. There is only a 9% chance of a sunny day any day around this month however there is a 76% chance of a rain spread over the course of this month. Clouds remain over the skies with almost 33% chances of being a heavy cloud.

February

The second month of the year is almost like the previous month but with slightly higher temperatures. The average daily temperatures reach almost 5°C while the day and night may expect to be 8°C warm and 2°C cold. There is only an 11% chance that the sun would be up over any day of the month. The chances of a cloudy day is 29% with a probability to rain of over 67% so don’t forget to take your raincoats and umbrellas when heading out.

March

There is not much of a change during this month as compared to the previous months. The average daily temperature reaches almost 6°C while the highest and the lowest may almost go to 9°C and 2°C. There is just 14% chances that Northern Ireland might enjoy a sunny day during this month while they may expect 62% chances of a rain any day of the month as there is 27% chance that that the weather would remain cloudy.

April

There is not much variation in the average temperatures of Northern Ireland. The average weather at this time of the year remains 8°C while the maximum warm that it may get is only 12°C during the day time and the nights can be cold to reach almost 4°C. There is 19% chance that there would be a sunny day in the Northern Ireland regions while one may expect very high chances of rain reaching to almost 63% over a 18% chance of a cloudy day any time of this month.

May

The average daily reaches almost 11°C while the highest and the lowest temperatures to be recorded reaches 15°C during the day time and 7°C during the night time. There is not so much sun light during this month as well however there is a 18% chance that the day would be sunny at any time of the month. There is almost 66% chance that there would be rain at any day so it’s a great idea to keep an umbrella handy since the chances of a cloudy day is nearly 20% for any day.

June

This is one of the months with the highest temperatures in Northern Ireland. The average daily temperature reaches almost 14°C while the highest and lowest may reach 17°C and 10°C during the day light hours and evenings. The sun is up with only about 15% of chances and the expected rain probability may reach almost 65% with a 22% chance that the day would be a cloudy day.

July

July in Northern Ireland is marked by rising temperatures as compared to the previous months. The average daily temperature reaches almost 15°C during this month. This is also one of the most visited times of the year by tourists as the weather is pleasant and warm. The day time may reach almost 19% and the evenings may go up-to 11°C. There is a 69% chance of a rainy day with a 23% chance of a cloudy day here in Northern Ireland.

August

August being the month of spring and colors bring in lots of rain over the Northern Ireland. There is a 72% chance that it might rain at any given day while there is just a 10% chance of a sunny day, most of the days here are cloudy at this time of the year. The average daily temperature may reach up-to 15°C while the day and night temperatures may reach 18°C and 11°C.

September

One of the busiest times of Northern Ireland is this month when loads and gush of tourists come to enjoy the weather. The average daily temperature reaches around 14°C while the highest and lowest temperatures may go up-to 17°C and 10°C at the day hours and the night hours. There is a 10% chance of a sunny day during this month while the chances of rain reach almost 66%. The experts say that there is a 24% chance that the day would be cloudy any time during this month.

October

The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder. The mean temperature reaches around 10°C during this month while the highest and the lowest temperatures may go up-to 13°C and 7°C. There is just a 10% chance that the day would be sunny while the rest can be considered to be rainy or cloudy as there is almost 74% chance of rain during this month while 26% probability of a cloudy day.

November

The days have gone really short and cold by this time of the year. The average daily temperature reaches around 7°C while the highest and lowest temperatures during the day and night drops to around 10°C and 4°C. There is merely 11% chance of a sunny day any day around this month whereas the chances of rain may reach almost 78% over a 28% chance of a cloudy weather.

December

This is one the coldest months during the year as the average daily temperatures have now reached almost 5°C and the day time and the night time temperature may reach almost 7°C and 2°C. The weather trends and forecasts suggest that there is a 12% chance of a sunny day anytime of the month whereas the chances of rain is as high as 71% with 28% chances of a cloudy weather.

CONCLUSION – BEST TIME TO VISIT NORTHERN IRELAND:

In order to enjoy the attractionsin Northern Ireland, choosing the correct weather is highly important. The initial winter months are not preferred for visiting Northern Ireland since, the mountains and the neighboring plains are difficult to visit because of the cold, harsh winds. Moreover, the caves and isolated castles cannot be visited during the months of January and February due to intense cold temperatures. The best time to visit Northern Ireland is from June to September as the country experiences the best weather during this period. The weather conditions are perfect for visiting all the attractions in the country. The warm months of July and August are perfect for the forests and the mountain peaks, and also for outdoor activity fun.

The summer months are the busiest for the local residents of the country as every year a huge number of tourists visit. The country is flooded with visitors which keep on increases. Towards the end of summer, the number of people rise to the extent that it tends to get muggier and the safety hassle increases. In order to enjoy the attractions of Northern Ireland along in a relatively lesser chaotic situation, the month of August is the best time. The country has a number of attractions which offer natural beauty along with the ancient Irish history and the local culture to the visitors.

Now, before you start packing your bags to head to Northern Ireland, make sure to visit the German website from Backpackertrail. There you will find even more detailed information on what to expect weather wise, while visiting Northern Ireland.